Friday 30 May 2008

A bitter taste

A dream of a broken memory.. Made vivid by words of song, a voice says remember what your mother taught you...

In a time when the crescent silver moon hangs in the star lit sky, the Night often sings her sweet song of sadness. A sound so haunting it laments the passing of her sister Day, occasionaly the Wind chimes in as he often does when he is a breeze. For he is never ending and laments both of the sisters passing, Wind loves them both and courts each sister in turn when the fancy takes him. Such it is a whirlwind romance a triangle if you will, that the three of them make wonderous melodies for all the world to hear.

We were simple folk living in a wooden house that father built with his own hands, mother tended to the chickens and cows we kept upon our land. Among the countryside we resided living carefree lives, we knew nothing of technology or gadgets since our parents forsook such things. All we had were the simple tools to till the land to grow our food, for father loved to see things grow produced by his efforts. Oh wonderous vegetables that we had married to meat we rised ourselves, a copulation of hard work on a plate every day for us to consume and we knew we were blessed. So very blessed.

Yet people would tell us we were mad to live so close to the border, you see our land was on the edge of the other territory. No one ever dares to cross in to it because the demons live there, they are evil creatures delighting in the misery of humans for it is humans who called them and abandoned them there. Those creatures were often filled with resentment to happiness for they felt none, the resentment to being tossed aside when their use is over often turned to hate. Such emotion in a thing already evil, will tend to rot and fester in their very core until it explodes. Madness to live near such a place perhaps, but we felt safe for no law breaker dared to come near. Blessed were we.

On the afore mentioned night something terrible stirred, a recent creature had been left upon the demonic land and she was full of vengence. Her master summoned her long ago when she was new to the world, he made her do all sorts of things from murders to sexual favours. Eventually as with all such tales the demoness knew she was stronger than her master, with a curse upon her lips she turned upon him and devoured his soul. How she ended up over the border even she did not know, perhaps a priest sent her there in a bid to be rid of her but the destination was wrong. Some humans say Hell is on Earth, I guess for her that land was it. Her eyes were as red as the flames of Hell, her smile once so innocent now twisted and distorted with malice. She looked across the land where her malicious gaze came to rest upon our small wooden house, with the grace of a cat she prowled towards to it to see what horror she could do.

Inside the four of us sat around our fireplace, our parents in their wooden chairs while my brother and I curled upon the rug. I often found comfort in my twin for he was calm and stable, while myself ever a mischief maker was more chaotic. Partak so much more than just my brother, he was my anchor who balanced my strange nature. I was not a wicked child I had a good heart, mother always said I just couldn't be contained like other people could. I was the fighter and defender of Partak, his condition got him picked on by the other children who lived in town. When ever he was bullied I would be at his side, I guess my mischievious ways to get them back after I fought them off made me gain a reputation as bad. I was never a bad kid, I just liked to make trouble or pull pranks. Strong hearts that are noble make a warrior mother said, never use that to hurt another with dark intent. For then the darkness takes you.... I ramble! The fire with its orange flames danced upon logs, if we stared at them long enough they take on shapes like those of women and their dances become complex. I always liked fire to wonder at how something so warm and inviting, could be such a harmful thing when allowed to feed on what it likes. A destructive force of burning wrath as if angry at being restricted, and once released would cease to be a thing to be admired and instead be fiery death.

A knock on our door stirred us from what ever conversation we were having, we were not expecting visitors especially at this hour of night. Father got up from his chair to open the door to see who it was that disturbed us, he picked up his shotgun for safety just in case a law breaker had got the courage to come here. That was the last time I saw him alive, for in the instant the door opened a clawed hand grabbed him. He was held in place while another such appendage came down upon his head, with a sickening sound of breaking bone and tearing skin his head was ripped off. Blood sprayed our walls red the stink of iron all around us, I clung to my brother as we both screamed with eyes wide in terror. The demoness entered in to our house and mother stood in front of us her arms open in defence, the creature pretty as she was had her looks ruined by her cruel smile. I remember the blackness that surrounded her like a thousand snakes each with a hissing head, they coiled around her whole form like a black guard a hissing army. Mother did not stand a chance in the same way as father she had her life torn from her, we were alone now silently staring up at our destroyer whose hands dripped our parents blood down on us. While she licked the blood off herself becoming distracted with its sweet bitter taste, my twin and I got up and ran for our lives.

Behind us we heard a shriek so terrible it cut us to the bone, looking back just once we saw our house burst in to flame. From the burning wreckage she that demoness walked casually from it, her eyes glowing red and her fangs bloodied she was coming after us. No matter how hard we ran were only young and small, she was not that far behind us and gaining with each minute. We found a sewer pipe that we crawled in to, to hide from her and perhaps be spared from death. It stank the smell was prutrid, dirty slimey water dripped steadily on our clothes. We huddled together shaking, terrified out of our wits as the demoness reached us but did nothing. She could not get in to the pipe so she waited, but her attention span was short and thus it was our saviour when finally she wandered off.

Crawling back out of the pipe stinking of sewage we knew we were alone, two children with no family two orphaned brats. Holding hands we walked and walked not caring where we went, we found a city much bigger than the town we were used to. Looking at one another we were determined to live, mother taught us to live each day to the full. We were thankful to be alive. Together we walked on to the city streets, together we would find a way to survive....

I woke...

Trembling I brushed my hair out of my eyes, I found myself to be covered in a cold sweat. Nightmares had always been a problem since my first torture, these were more real seeming after I sang those words...
And a voice says "Remember what your mother taught you". Then I recall that's what the fortune cookie Lorne read to me had said.


Lulz of the day:

Janvier Redgrave is not dancing, he is stepping on cockroaches in a stylish fashion.

No comments: